When I was growing up one of my sisters hated eating papaya (pawpaw), I remember whenever her share of pawpaw comes along she will take a bite and say “Destiny I have tried eat the rest now” it was always funny but I cannot really blame her because the truth is papaya is a lot of people’s least favorite fruit.
Even I prefer some Papaya to some therefore we all need exciting new ways to enjoy this amazingly nutritious fruit.
For this reason alone I have been experimenting creative ways to eat and enjoy papaya which I shared below:
1. Freshly cut papaya and lime juice: lemons have a unique taste so guess what happens when you rub a little lemon juice on your freshly cut papaya. You guessed right an explosion of taste.
The recipe is quite easy all you have to do is get some lemon juice to put on freshly cut papaya. The trick is to not soak then in the juice for too long (if you prefer to soak) and if you are sprinkling don’t use too much and remember to get both sides.
2. Traditional Fruit salad: I know a lot of people I know do not really like adding papaya to their fruit salad because they say it will “spoil” the taste, the fact however is if you add papaya in really tiny bits you will barely notice it there.so before you write it off completely try this method.
Recipe: the same way you make your regular traditional fruit salad
3. Papaya Pineapple smoothie: I tried the papaya pineapple smoothie and I loved it. It tasted really fresh and different. This recipe is equally very simple to recreate all you have to do is get equal parts of papaya and pineapple and blend it in a smoothie maker and you are good to go. I added my secret ingredient the last time I drank this and it tasted really nice. You should definitely try this.
4. Papaya Banana Shake: I love shakes and I know you do too, so for this shake instead of your regular banana shake add a bit of papaya and see the amazing difference.
5. Papaya Pops: looking for something frozen and sweet look and healthy? Then papaya pops are for you, these are Popsicle made from papayas. If that isn’t creative what is?
Recipe: all you will need will be freshly cut papayas, little lime juice, Popsicle molds and sticks, cream or coconut milk (optical). Blend all of the ingredients in a blender and pour into Popsicle molds, add sticks, put in the freezer to freeze for 3-5 hours or until fully frozen.
6. Papaya Jam: the jam we buy from the stores are extracted from fruits therefore we can make our own unique flavor of jam with papaya.
Recipe: You will need mashed up papaya, 5 cups of white sugar/honey (depends on your preferences), orange juice. Put all ingredients expect sugar and heat over medium heat and stir until it boils once boiling add the sugar or honey stir constantly for 1 minute and remove it. After removing it proceed to can it and put it in a refrigerator.
7. Vegan Ice cream with Papaya and Coconut:
Recipe: All you need for this is fresh papaya, honey and coconut milk. This will that about 3 hours to make to the finish. Place papaya. Coconut milk, honey, a little salt and lime juice in a food processor/ ice cream maker. Take out the mixture and freeze for at least 3 hours or until; frozen. Do not touch until it’s fully frozen to avoid increasing hours needed to freeze fully.
Why eat papayas? Papayas are not only juicy, they are anti-inflammatory, they are rich in antioxidants which is awesome for you and is good for your heart. It also contains papain which is a digestive enzyme that helps promote faster digestion of food which is good during weight loss.
There are many creative ways to enjoy this delicious nutritious fruit and I will definitely be trying out more ways to enjoy the papaya because I am not ready to give up on it yet. How do you enjoy your papaya?