While writing my general goals for 2019 yesterday , I started taking stock of the year 2018 and all the things that happened this year.
Wow I cannot believe this year has come to an end.
2018 for me was a challenging year in many aspects of my life and although very challenged, stressed and went through some series of events, I feel this is a year that taught me alot of things and brought me alot of insight.
For me 2017 was a year of lessons but 2018 brought me insight/ understanding .
Best and Worst of the year
The best of the year for me were the opportunities to see life and experience it in a different dimension. This year I concluded my 4 years of college education. It wasn’t easy getting there but it was worth it. I had the opportunity to travel to an unknown state and experienced life very different from the way I have ever experienced.
The worst of the year will have to do be the struggle and the fleeting feelings of hopelessness I felt in some particularly challenging moments. The best of the worst was the insight I got from those challenges.
This year I started Adulting so far so good I mean what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger right?
Insights of the year
To have insight is to gain an understanding of a situation, person or thing.
The past 365 days came along with various challenges and although as the saying goes you loose some, you gain some, I definitely got some insights of life and adulting based everything that has happened in the past 356 days below:
- God is good: scratch that, God is great, awesome and everything you actually need. I’ll just leave it at that because a whole blog post can’t explain how I feel about the Lord.
- Just do it: don’t fear just do it was a very important insight I got form the year. Most of us fail to do many things because well we are scared of getting hurt or failing. So we close ourselves to opportunities to prove ourselves because we are scared of the unknown. I learnt this year that failure or the unknown isn’t something to be scared of and with that knowledge I have come to the conclusion that whatever it is that you want to do that will bring you some kind of satisfaction and peace, Just do it!
- Your time is yours and is a very great commodity: we all have 24hours in each day. What your do with yours is 100% up to you. Don’t cry about not making progress or not getting what you want when you don’t spend the 24hours of your day working towards your goals. There is alot you can achieve in a day and these little activities can set the ball rolling to a better life. Every new day is like money deposited into your account of life how you spend it is up to you.
- Say No: I cannot overemphasized the importance of having the ability to say “No” to everything and everyone and every situation that doesn’t serve you financially, emotionally, spiritually, physically and mentally. Your mental health is too important to compromise on. Also take self care very importantly because if we don’t take care of us first, who will?
- Having a personal network is very important: This is actually the last insight for the year and it’s about your personal network (ie. The group of people who you interact with). The circles you decide to run in, people you decide to associate with go a long way in building you up. Deciding to having conscious relationships that will help build you up into that person you want to be is very important. Going out to meet with like minds and connecting with people further down the road from you is extremely important. I learnt this a little bit late but for the next year my advice on this, is to go out and meet people. Attend events (online and offline), talk to people and build a network.
In all 2018 was a very good year in many ways and I am very grateful for everything I have experienced, people I met along the way, places I visted, people I came I’m contact with, lessons learnt, challenges conquered, wins and losses, love and family, friends that stick close and most especially you. You who read my posts and comment and like, email me and connect with me. I just want to say you made my year and I love you all dearly.
How was your 2018? How are you feeling today the last day of the year?
Can’t wait to see you all in the new year. Love D. A.